Vintage 10-Hook Speedweve - No.11 with box
An original vintage Speedweve darning loom from the 1940s/50s, carefully sourced by us from vintage markets and given a gentle clean & spruce up so it's all ready for you to get mending with.
The Speedweve darning loom helps make weaving over and under threads quicker and easier. It holds the warp (vertical) threads in place over your hole and with a simple 'swish' of the hooks you can weave over one thread and under the next in seconds. No more counting "over 1, under 1, etc" which makes darning a little more relaxing and gives you the head space to experiment with colours and patterns.
This 10-hook darning loom will help you fix up moth holes, repair threadbare areas or disguise a stain with a beautiful surface darn. A loom with 10 hooks will create a looser woven 'patch' making it ideal for darning most knitwear using thicker yarn and heavier denim using thicker thread.
You will receive:
- 1 x Vintage 10-Hook Speedweve Metal Loom - early Model 1
- 1 x Original Disk
- 1 x Small Stainless Steel Spring - custom-made in the U.K. for MM
- 1 x 20-page 'Loom Darning for Beginners' Instruction Booklet
- 1 x Vintage Speedweve Box
- Original Instruction Sheet
*Please take a look at photos for the condition of all the above mentioned items.
Optional Kit - click here to add it to your basket!
We've put together a 'Speedweve Mending Kit' to create the ideal set for someone who is a complete mending newbie and needs all the essentials to get started with a Speedweve.
Nestled inside a Ministry of Mending presentation box full of eco 'zig-zag shred', we'll pack your vintage Speedweve, along with your choice of threads & yarns and our hand-picked selection of needles & markers. The whole box is tied off with a stunning wool selvedge ribbon, ready for gifting to someone special if you so wish!
- 4 x Individual Needles - No.18 Tapestry Needle, No.20 Chenille Needle, 76mm Ballpoint Needle & 100mm Ballpoint Needle.
- 1 x pack of Prym Long Darning Needles.
- 1 x Small Latch Needle
- 1 x Large Latch Needle
- 1 x Metal Needle Threader
- 1 x Wax Marker
- 1 x Prym Aqua Trick Water Erasable Pen (White)
- 5 x Organic Cotton Threads & 1 x Variegated Cotton Thread
- 2 x Cashmere Yarns (3-Ply)
- 3 x Merino Yarns (2-ply) & 1 x Variegated Merino Yarn
- Wooden disc measures approximately 68mm (2 ¾") in diameter.
- Warp width measures approximately 43mm (1 ⅝").
- 10 hooks spaced approx 4mm apart.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*A few important points....
- Each and every vintage loom we sell is a little different as they have all had a past life! Please take a look at the photos that form part of this listing for the condition of the metal loom part and any extras e.g. Speedweve box, disk and original instruction sheet.
- Sometimes we're lucky enough to find a loom with it's original box &/or instructions, but sadly sometimes these are missing.
- Metal looms may have spots of rust and slight damage from previous use over the years, however please rest assured that we always take apart, clean up, reassemble and test each one before they are listed for sale. Any damage is cosmetic only.
- Occassionally we find looms without their original disks - these are paired up with a replica disk which is hand-turned by us here in Cornwall using solid oak. By doing this we ensure these beautiful original Speedweve looms can have another life.
- The price of each Speedweve loom reflects it's current condition and any extra items it comes with e.g. box, disk and instructions it is sold with.
Nut Allergy Disclaimer: Please be aware replacement/replica wood disks are treated with a walnut oil finish. If for any reason you require a disk without an oil finish please email us.